Mercury-Free Solar Fever Thermometers are Hot!

Mercury is highly toxic.

If you drop and break an old-fashioned mercury fever thermometer in a sink, its mercury could go down the drain and get into the wastewater that flows through sewers to the treatment plant. However, the treatment process cannot remove all traces of mercury, so some will end up in local waters, causing harm to aquatic life.

Because of this, the sale of mercury fever thermometers was banned in California years ago. But some people still have them at home. Digital thermometers are much better for the environment.

That’s why Central San will give a free digital solar (no batteries!) thermometer to our customers who bring an old mercury-filled thermometer to our Household Hazardous Waste Collection Facility for safe disposal!

solar digital thermometers
Replace mercury-filled thermometers with solar digital ones!

For more information, please call 1-800-646-1431.

Leave a Comment

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s